Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson

So, I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I really didn't know much about the actual content of the book. I had heard that is was good but graphic and that the movie was good, but that was about it. So, I saw it while wondering around the new books section of the library and thought I'd give it a go. SOOOOOO worth it! Great book!

Without giving away too much, basically this journalist who was recently convicted of libel, is asked to investigate the disappearance of the niece of a well-known industrialist 4o years prior. The journalist gets mixed up with a very unusual PI and they end of working together to solve the mystery. Obviously lots more to the plot, but don't want to give anything away.

The book wasn't nearly as graphic as I had thought it would be based on comments I'd heard. Definitely graphic in places, but not enough for me to be too offended. I think I was expecting more gore type graphics and that is not the case. Not that violence toward women is not upsetting - just not gory like I had in my mind.

I was a little confused about what happened in the past of Lisbeth (the PI), but I'm assuming I'll get more info from the other books in the Millenium Series (I have them already, but I'm reading books that are due before I get to these). It's pretty obvious something very bad happened (it is actually called The Bad Thing), but I'm not sure what and it isn't a huge part of this book. Guess we'll see!

Overall, I recommend this book, but I would definitely read it at the same time as something more lighthearted (I also was reading a Zits compilation by Jim Borgman and Jerry Scott while reading this).

No comments:

Post a Comment